Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Ravishing Radishes

Every year I have a bounty of radishes and I never know what to do with them, besides shock my sinuses. Turns out that there's a limit to how many spicy radishes that I can eat raw. So, salad toppings aside, what can you do with radishes?

Let's back up for a second. Why do I grow these enigmatic roots? Well, first of all, they're fast and easy. I plant them between rows of other vegetables because the time from seed to maturity is half or more of other veggies I grow. Also, they're said to be a natural pesticide (maybe because of their fiery quality?). Beyond the ease of growth, radishes offer Vitamin C, potassium, and folic acid. They also stimulate liver function and digestion. Though I love the spicy varieties, there are some milder radishes out there for you non-fire-breathers.

Last night I tried something beyond salad with these radishes...I cooked them! I've never cooked radishes before. I decided to throw my entire kitchen into a sautee pan. It turned out pretty good! I will make some changes next time, but this was a good start.


Quinoa, radishes, and the kitchen sink
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1/3 cup raisins
1/2 bell pepper, red
3 large radishes, diced
4 spears asparagus, chopped
Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
Handful of crumbled bacon
1/4 cup chopped mint
1/4 tsp comino (cumin)
Salt, to taste
garlic and onion flakes, to taste
Olive oil

Bring quinoa, raisins and water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 12-15 minutes, until water is absorbed. In the meantime, sautee bell pepper, asparagus, bacon for a few minutes, then add in the other ingredients. Combine sauteed mixture with quinoa, garnish with extra mint and radishes, and serve.

Alas, I picked too much mint. So, naturally, I had to make a strawberry-mint mojito for dessert.

Strawberry-Mint Mojito
6 large mint leaves
Juice of 1 lime
1 large strawberry, cut into a few chunks
2 oz Light Rum
Agave Nectar, to taste
Club Soda
Ice

Muddle (mash!) mint, lime and strawberry at the bottom of a glass. Add rum, club soda and ice. Stir, taste, then add agave nectar to taste (if it's not sweet enough already).

1 comment: