Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Just Beet it! Beet it, ooh!

Okay, so this week has been sort of a "beet" down, time wise, so I haven't been posting much of anything or cooking as much as I'd like.  So, I thought I'd post an old meal (as in...we didn't really eat this dish this week).

Have you ever done anything with beets besides cooking them and throwing them in your salads?  I love to find new things to do with beets, so leave me some recipes if you are so inclined. 

This is a salad best served cold.  So, if you roasted beets ahead of time and refrigerated them, that's great!  Otherwise, roast some beets pronto!  You do this by preheating to 400, washing and trimming the leaves off the beets and roasting with olive oil and salt and pepper for about 40 minutes, or until tender enough to be pierced with a knife.

Beet and Orange salad
4 medium beets, roasted, chilled and cut into bite-sized chunks
~1 cup jarred mandarin orange slices in either water or light syrup.
1 T sherry vinegar
2 T lemon juice
1 T olive oil
salt, if necessary

Whisk all but orange and beets together.  Add oranges and beets.  Chill, serve. Viola!

No comments:

Post a Comment