Monday, March 28, 2011

Muffin tops

"My muffin top is all that
Whole grain, low-fat
I know you want a piece of that,
But I just want to dance."

Yes, I just quoted Jenna from 30-Rock.  I couldn't help humming the song while baking this afternoon.  This weekend I'll be driving out West where it's wide-open and wanted some semi-healthy snacks for the trip and the hike.  Evidently, there's a burn ban and a charcoal ban at the park we're going to, so I've had to think creatively.   No campfire potatoes and veggie roasts.

My solution?  Cold pizza (yikes!, but yum!), tarragon chicken salad sandwiches, blueberry muffins and granola bars. 

Here is the muffin recipe I used; I have adapted it dramatically, so I'll post my version here. 

Blueberry Muffins
4 eggs
1.5 cups  agave nectar
1 cup apple sauce
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups flour (I used King Arthur)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups greek yogurt, plain
3 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
1.5 Tbsp cinnamon
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 24 muffin cups.  Don't use paper liners.
2. In large bowl beat eggs, gradually add nectar and apple sauce while beating. Stir in vanilla. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda.
3. Stir dry ingredients into egg mixture alternately with yogurt. Gently fold in blueberries. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
4.Bake for about 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

The last granola bars I made were no-bake and had Karo in them.  I really wanted to stay away from corn syrup, so I found an alternate recipe.  This recipe can be found on AllRecipes.com here.   I did make a few modifications:  I used half flax-seeds and half-wheat germ.  I used half apple sauce and half oil.  I used more cinnamon than specified (about 1.5 tsp).  Also, bake for about 20 minutes, not 30.  Both recipes turned out nicely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment